Chiropractic adjustments can help with many different issues, from persistent back pain to whiplash and more. However, if you feel weird after going to the chiropractor, you may wonder whether or not something went wrong. This depends on the type of ‘weird’ you’re experiencing. It is indeed normal to feel weird in some cases, but in others, you really shouldn’t.
Here’s what you need to know about common reasons why people feel weird after chiropractic adjustments, as well as common misconceptions people attribute said weirdness to. Let’s get into it!
What Is Normal To Experience After A Chiropractic Adjustment?
In most cases, people feel better after seeing a chiropractor. They feel more relaxed and less tension. In other cases, people may not feel any different, and it may take a few adjustments for them to start to notice the benefits of chiropractic care.
In less common cases, people can occasionally experience side effects after an adjustment. Some of these are normal, and some are concerning and indicators that you should seek out medical help.
Normal Side Effects Of Chiropractic Adjustments
If you feel a bit weird after an adjustment, it could be completely normal.
- Soreness is commonly reported after chiropractic care when muscle work has been done. This usually goes away within a day or two, similar to soreness after a workout.
- Aching is another common side effect, and like soreness, results from muscle work. You may feel mild pain if the site that was worked on was injured.
- Bruising can happen, depending on how easily you bruise and how intense the adjustment way. If it does, it should be mild, not severe.
- Increased bowel movements may feel weird, but they’re actually a sign that your digestive system is functioning better, thanks to the adjustment.
- Mild cold symptoms can occur, like sneezing. This is commonly associated with toxic release, but we’ll get more into that below.
Abnormal Side Effects Of Chiropractic Adjustments
However, there are cases where if you feel strange after an adjustment, it’s cause for concern.
- Numbness can indicate nerve issues. If you feel weird and numb after an adjustment, seek medical care as soon as possible.
- Sharp, shooting pain can indicate an area that has been misaligned or strained.
- Difficulty speaking can indicate injury to your spinal cord. If you struggle to speak after an adjustment and you didn’t before, seek medical attention right away.
- Fainting should never occur. While some light dizziness may occur after an adjustment, you should never lose consciousness.
- Loss of movement indicates the need for immediate medical care. If anything, chiropractic care should improve your range of motion, not reduce it.
When performed by a licensed Doctor of Chiropractic, chiropractic care is incredibly safe. However, as with any type of treatment, things may go wrong. If you feel off after an adjustment, tell your chiropractor right away, or at your next appointment. They will be able to tell you whether or not this weirdness is normal or cause for concern.
What About Toxic Release?
If you feel strange after an adjustment, you may be told that this is because of toxic release. This is a persistent myth in the realms of massage and chiropractic care. It’s said that subluxations can lead to a buildup of toxins in your body and that when your body is realigned, the toxins are released.
Toxic release can supposedly cause you to feel weird in all sorts of ways, from nausea to headaches to fatigue to cold and flu-like symptoms and more. It’s claimed that as your body detoxifies itself, your symptoms will decrease.
Is Toxic Release Legit?
In a word? No.
Proponents of the toxic release theory are hard-pressed to pin down precisely what the toxins that are being released are. When pressed, they’ll likely say they’re metabolic wastes, like lactic acid. However, anything can be toxic if you have too much of it, water and oxygen included. Thus, people can rarely agree on what these “toxins” their cleanses or treatments or juices are targeting even are.
Your body does an excellent job of detoxifying itself with its kidneys and liver. If your body is struggling to detoxify itself, this indicates issues with your detoxifying organs, which you will need to see a medical professional for.
If there are toxins in your body, such as tobacco smoke, you will need the help of a medical professional. Some “detoxifying” treatments can actually harm you, especially if done without recommendation by a medical professional.
What About That Strange Dizziness?
People often attribute feeling weird after a chiropractic adjustment to toxic release. However, what this really is is your body being realigned, and ergo, being able to release chemicals and hormones, like dopamine. This can cause that brief sense of dizziness as you feel a rush of chemicals from your body being able to function properly again.
Chiropractic adjustments realign your body, which can help it function better as different parts are being able to communicate properly again. It helps you feel better and recover from issues, like back pain.
But if you want a detoxifying treatment, it’s best to talk to your primary care provider about your specific concerns. They will be able to help you determine whether or not your concerns are because of harmful toxins and what can be done to help.
What Do You Do If You Feel Weird After A Chiropractic Adjustment?
No matter what type of weird you feel after a chiropractic adjustment, it’s always a good idea to bring it up to your chiropractor. They will be able to tell you whether or not it’s normal and why it happened. If it’s cause for concern, they will be able to help you obtain further treatment.
Ogden Chiropractic is here to help with all your chiropractic needs. Chiropractic adjustments can improve the function of your body for a healthier, less stressed you. Contact us today to learn more about our chiropractic services – and let us help you if you feel weird after an adjustment.